Thursday 18 December 2014

YEAR in REVIEW: BEST and WORST TRAILER of 2014


Well, it was a difficult couple of weeks getting all of my schoolwork done for my first term in Creative Communications (Crecomm) at Red River College. It’s funny to think that just a few months ago I had never blogged or even considered blogging before starting the program. But I took to it like a fish to water, which is better than drinking like a fish – another side effect of going through Crecomm.

But, seriously, I’ve had such a blast getting to know people in the program and it’s been a great experience so far. This blog has been my Crecomm baby, so to speak. I’ve loved having something to call my own that’s part of school but still entirely up to me in terms of content (Yes, starting up a blog is mandatory in Crecomm – pretty cool, right?) I started the program because I like being creative, not because I have a burning desire to sit at my laptop and write, but this blog definitely sparked something in me. I’ve been blogging because I want to, not because I have to, and that’s been good for me.

But enough about me, let’s talk about you. I wouldn’t have committed as much time and energy to this blog if it wasn’t for people like you who took the time to read it. I surpassed my goal for page views this term :D! and I want to keep the good times rollin’, so enough of this mushy junk. Let’s get down to business.

I’m judging this year’s best and worst in comic book movies (that I’ve seen so far)

To start us off, here's...

THE BEST AND WORST COMIC BOOK MOVIE TRAILER OF 2014

BEST: X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST



Okay, I am a huge X-Men fan, but there’s no denying that this trailer was a big deal. Not only was DOFP going to join the cast of the original X-Men trilogy and the cast of X-Men: First Class, Bryan Singer was making a triumphant return to the franchise he took on in 2000. This trailer gave me goose bumps. DOFP is a classic storyline from the comics, and the images, music, and Patrick Stewart's voice-over hit all the right notes for me. The X-Men had seen good movies (X-Men, X2, X-Men: First Class) and some pretty awful ones in the last 14 years (X-Men: The Last Stand, Wolverine: Origins) but one thing is certain – when Bryan Singer is involved, the X-Men are in good hands.



WORST: THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2




What. The. Hell. Before the big hack controversy, this was Sony’s biggest source of shame in 2014. This trailer’s message was loud and clear: Amazing Spider-Man 2 is going to suck. Let’s break it down.

1. It starts with a bad joke about laundry
2. Jamie Fox (of Django Unchained fame) is playing a nerd obsessed with Spider-Man
3. Electro is the fourth member of Blue Man Group
4. Oh great, Harry Osborn is in it as Green Goblin (haven’t seen that before)
5. Oh great, there’s going to be 3 villains (haven’t seen that before)
6. And to top it all off, another bad joke

A lot of my friends said I was too hard on the first Amazing Spider-Man. I thought it was such a retread of the original; the only thing setting it apart from Sam Raimi’s trilogy was the conspiracy surrounding Peter’s parents, and who really cares about that anyway? This trailer confirmed it – The Amazing Spider-Man is mediocre at best. Sony ought to hand the rights back to Marvel so we can see Spider-Man in Civil War. Who’s with me?



Stay tuned for more YEAR in REVIEW and let me know what your favourite trailer of the year was.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment